View previous topic View next topic Go down

Red Dead Redemption: The Review!

Post by CoDfAtHeR123 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Developers: Rockstar San Diego and Rockstar North
Platforms: PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Ratings: North America: M
Europe: 18+

Review:
Red Dead Redemption is a Western epic, set at the turn of the 20th century when the lawless and chaotic badlands began to give way to the expanding reach of government and the spread of the Industrial Age. A follow up to the 2004 hit Red Dead Revolver, this game tells the story of former outlaw John Marston, taking players on a great adventure across the American frontier.
Red Dead Redemption features an open-world environment for players to explore, including frontier towns, rolling prairies teaming with wildlife, and perilous mountain passes - each packed with an endless flow of varied distractions. Along the way, players will experience the heat of gunfights and battles, meet a host of unique characters, struggle against the harshness of one of the world’s last remaining wildernesses, and ultimately pick their own precarious path through an epic story about the death of the Wild West and the gunslingers that inhabited it.

It's taken six long years for Rockstar San Diego to deliver the follow-up to Red Dead Revolver, a game that began life as a Capcom title and eventually materialised as a somewhat awkward fit for the publisher better known as the name behind GTA. For the sequel, Rockstar's decided to throw away virtually everything from the original, the only link remaining is a 'Red Dead' in the title and the sharpshooting technique granted to the protagonist.

Despite originally making a brief appearance back in 2005 as a PS3 tech demo, Red Dead Redemption has seen its fair share of delays and development strife. The result, however, has been more than worth it: a game that may not quite reach the lofty standards of GTA IV in terms of defining this generation of consoles, but a video game that finally captures the boundless potential of the Wild West setting.

Immediately, Red Dead Redemption ticks the criteria expected from a Rockstar title: razor sharp dialogue and faultless presentation greet you from the start. It's a reassuring touch of quality that tends to follow the synonymous logo. Although the game won't reach the controversy of its GTA sibling, Rockstar San Diego has approached the game in a manner befitting the publisher; so you'll find references to bestiality, come across an insane character who's got an unhealthy obsession with the dead, and plenty of further subjects that cut close to the bone.

The story of Red Dead Redemption revolves around John Marston, a man who like Niko Belic before him, has travelled to a strange location in order to track down a man. Exactly who and why are questions left unanswered during the early stages of the game. Any early exposition is provided effectively on the train journey into town, as Marston eavesdrops on his fellow passenger's conversations. It's an effective way to provide a little background, but once you step off the train the world of freedom awaits.

Stepping out from the ram-shackled town of Armadillo for the first time is an awe-inspiring experience. An opportunity that just begs you to explore the game's stunning, vast vistas, cactus-filled plains, and the mountain peaks that loom in the background. It's this early period that introduces the gamers to Red Dead Redemption's game world and the myriad of activities that await Marston. Beyond his quest Marston will have a chance to play poker, break wild horses, herd stampeding cattle, hunt down outlaws, find gold in them thar hills... This is merely a hint of the range of activities in Red Dead Redemption, truly it's a game that keeps on giving.

Such vast, open landscapes, however, bring a risk that Rockstar San Diego has expertly managed to avoid. In comparison to Liberty City, Red Dead Redemption's game world is a barren and void environment. The scenery is stunning but it would all be for nothing if it was just something to look at. To this extent, Rockstar San Diego has created a feature that masterfully handles the risk. Procedural events are random events that commence throughout the game. They range from duels at sundown outside of the saloon to outlaws terrorising the townsfolk. Procedural events help to give the game a constant sense of momentum; they help to enrich the game world and lend a feeling that it's well and truly alive. They're the link between main and secondary challenges, something to keep things interesting when you're not bothered about following the storyline and always manage to keep the flow of the game varied. Even the hallowed GTA series hasn't managed to bridge the gap in the way that Red Dead Redemption achieves.

One particular procedural event happens a little too often for our liking. It involves a broken carriage, a damsel in distress, and an almost inevitable ambush. Having seen this event play out on numerous occasions, I decided to recreate the classic Western cliche and tie her up on the train track. Who had the sickest mind? Me for waiting quite happily for 15 minutes until the train arrived, or Rockstar for giving an Achievement to reward precisely that series of events!

There is more to the review, but I'll add it only for those who want it!

IGN Score: 9.8/10

Graphics: 94%
Sound: 93%
Gameplay: 92%
Originality: 90%
Longevity: 90%
Overall Score: 9/10
CoDfAtHeR123
FNG (Noob)
FNG (Noob)

Back to top Go down

Re: Red Dead Redemption: The Review!

Post by Say Wuut on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:24 am

It's a freakin' awesome game. I just hate the stupid ending though, I just quit the game for good when I saw I was going to play as Jack.

Say Wuut

Character sheet
Name :

Back to top Go down

Post by NewWaveGuy on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:04 am

A great game, but just like GTA they have a lot to learn from multiplayer imo.

And my RDR game keeps freezing, right after I choose multiplayer or singleplayer, I've tried it 20 times now. Sad
NewWaveGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top