The Exodus Zone
You have been logged in.

I need help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I need help!

Post by ICEheaven102 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:09 am

For all you computer artists (Especially Helen), I need help.

I plan to learn how to draw anime on paper (I'm bad on paper, but even worse with a mouse) and after I finished learning how to draw on paper, I want to purchase a Wacom tablet and I have quite a number of questions:

1. What programs does the tablet come with?

2. Should I use Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator for drawing?

3. What is the cost of a Wacom Tablet?

4. What type do you recommend?

My Twitter

I am only a fan of Vietcong tactics and I like to make fun of Communism. I do not support the VC's ideals nor Communism.

Your friendly neighbourhood Commissar. Got a question? PM me, ask me on Twitter , Facebook or e-mail me at: sirevil100@hotmail.com
ICEheaven102
Commissar
Commissar

Character sheet
Name : Tuyên (Pronounced Tuee-ien) (Vietnamese name), Dex (English), Icey (Old TF nickname)

http://exoduszone.forumsmotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I need help!

Post by NewWaveGuy on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:06 am

I have a small Wacom Bamboo (Pen & Touch) tablet, but I've barely used it. It's pretty small but that is for easy transport.

I'll leave your questions up to someone else with more experience and knowledge, and we have a few of those people here Smile but I can say we used Adobe Photoshop for it.

If price doesn't matter and it's just for working with it at home, you could buy a bigger one. I bought mine for €79 (lets say $79) but I see the official site lists it for $99.

Official Site: http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen_touch.php

My personal (rather short) experience:
At first it's rather hard to work with it, you need to learn the feeling, and coordination of your hand & screen of it. It also seems like there is a small delay between what you do on the Wacom tablet, and what happens on the screen. I'm sure that you get used to that if you work a lot with it, I don't really hear complaints about that either.

Drawing is fun but when you need to learn it it's not always relaxing, actually the opposite, it's very intense and it's quite a (long) process, you constantly need to use your brains when learning to draw.
NewWaveGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by Say Wuut on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:41 pm

1) Depends on what tablet you buy, my Intuos4 came with Adobe Elements 8 and Corel Painter.

2) I would say use Photoshop since you have multi-layers such as eyes and different parts of the body. It also cuts down on coloring and mixing. (Depending on which version of photoshop you have) However I like the programs Paint Tool SAI (Has a color mixer) and OpenCanvas(more open and free like a sketchbook) more since its more curved towards drawing. You can always edit your pictures in photoshop after you finish your drawings. I also use Manga Studio, which is based more for people into comics. If you liek screenshots of each i'll post it up.

3) Varies, depends on what you buy. I have a large Intuous4 which cost me roughly 500 USD.

4) I would start with the small Wacom Bamboo like NewWave, don't jump inhead first thinking you can make great art. You first need practice with something less expensive before you move onto a 400 USD tablet.

Drawing is fun, I had some lag with the Bamboo but it was hardly noticeable. Once I got my intuous4 there was no lag at all and the pressure detection was amazing. Very Happy

Say Wuut

Character sheet
Name :

Back to top Go down

Post by ICEheaven102 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:52 pm

Well, I got the type of Wacom to get (Bamboo), but I'm still stuck on the drawing program. I checked on Youtube and Google, I and first thought of just using MS Paint (LOLOLOLOL), but then this artist I liked, I found out he uses Photoshop, so I then thought of using PS. THEN, my sister-in-law told me about Adobe Illustrator, so I checked it out. I was amazed. Then on Youtube, I heard about SAI. Looked very nice. I also heard of Manga Studio. Now, I'm just ba-dazzled on what program to use. =S

I would like to draw things like fanart and my own art (Like my own anime characters [I plan to draw the Role Play characters Very Happy]) and maybe Chibis.

I still go YEARS of learning ahead, but eventually, I'll get to the stage where I would buy a Wacom. I'm just planning for the future. All I need to know is for what program to use. Thanks guys. =)

My Twitter

I am only a fan of Vietcong tactics and I like to make fun of Communism. I do not support the VC's ideals nor Communism.

Your friendly neighbourhood Commissar. Got a question? PM me, ask me on Twitter , Facebook or e-mail me at: sirevil100@hotmail.com
ICEheaven102
Commissar
Commissar

Character sheet
Name : Tuyên (Pronounced Tuee-ien) (Vietnamese name), Dex (English), Icey (Old TF nickname)

http://exoduszone.forumsmotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Doitsu on Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:01 pm

ICEheaven102 wrote:Well, I got the type of Wacom to get (Bamboo), but I'm still stuck on the drawing program. I checked on Youtube and Google, I and first thought of just using MS Paint (LOLOLOLOL), but then this artist I liked, I found out he uses Photoshop, so I then thought of using PS. THEN, my sister-in-law told me about Adobe Illustrator, so I checked it out. I was amazed. Then on Youtube, I heard about SAI. Looked very nice. I also heard of Manga Studio. Now, I'm just ba-dazzled on what program to use. =S

I would like to draw things like fanart and my own art (Like my own anime characters [I plan to draw the Role Play characters Very Happy]) and maybe Chibis.

I still go YEARS of learning ahead, but eventually, I'll get to the stage where I would buy a Wacom. I'm just planning for the future. All I need to know is for what program to use. Thanks guys. =)

Just as a word of advice, I don't know much about those other programs, but last year I took a whole course on Adobe Illustrator, you'll need to take your time to learn the mechanics of it Razz. I was using a MAC while using Adobe, so that could be why it was more difficult for me, but I had to take my time, adn even had to redo some of my drawings for that class. Precision and accuracy are key for that program, and also knowing the keys and abilities of the program.

I am only a Supporter of Waffen-SS Tactics; Not Nazism

"Germany is not a state of warriors, but of soldiers. They obey, discipline is in their blood ."
Doitsu
Fuhrer
Fuhrer

Character sheet
Name : Blake Schultz

Back to top Go down

Post by Say Wuut on Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Use open canvas opencanvas! it's my program Wink

http://www.portalgraphics.net/en/

Say Wuut

Character sheet
Name :

Back to top Go down

Post by NewWaveGuy on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:28 pm

Isn't Adobe Illustrator for drawing with vectors?
NewWaveGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by Say Wuut on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:54 pm

NewWaveGuy wrote:Isn't Adobe Illustrator for drawing with vectors?

yeah it isn't a drawing program, it's a vector graphics editor.

Say Wuut

Character sheet
Name :

Back to top Go down

Post by Say Wuut on Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:05 pm

so you got a tablet yet noob?

Say Wuut

Character sheet
Name :

Back to top Go down