The Exodus Zone
You have been logged in.

Icey's anime reviews: Mayoi Neko Overrun

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Icey's anime reviews: Mayoi Neko Overrun

Post by ICEheaven102 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:23 am

The feeling of having your beloved kitty cat or puppy getting ran over by a car right in front of your eyes; the exact same feeling I had when I watched Mayoi Neko. (No, my dog was not ran over by a car.) The anime's extremely misleading title and terrible plot development has really disappointed me. The first 3 episodes of this anime actually had some potential, but after that, it became just a random slew of garbage.

The anime is about a boy named Takumi Tsuzuki who lives with his sister, Otome, in a Western bakery store which they call "Stray Cats" and one day, him and his friends (Fumino Serizawa, Takumi's Tsundre childhood friend, and Chise Umenomori, and insanely rich Loli girl) meet a girl named Nozomi Kiriya, and they have some adventures together. To be honest, I have no idea of what to make of the plot. It just jumps everywhere. In the first 3 episodes, I thought this was going to be a romantic ecchi comedy, but the romance was inconsistent. After episode 3, things get really messed up. It jumps from a hot spring episode, to a swimsuit competition, making a video, to a Jenga game, to a bloomers vs spats war (Which streched on for TWO episodes), and even a goddamn crazy cliche mecha parody. There was really no consistency of the plot. It just seem like the characters just hopped from place to place, and left you just hanging there. Also, at certain parts of the anime, they mention Nozomi and Fumino's past. They could have dug further into the story by devoting a episode on Fumino's past, and one on Nozomi's past.

As for character development, it was just decent. The male lead was very boring, and surprisingly had little screen time. The first male lead, Fumino, is Tsundre. Not that I don't like Tsundres (I love 'em), but she is too Tsundre. In fact, she is more of a selfish hypocrite. Chise, the insanely rich Loli girl, was damn annoying. She is really immature, and her annoying *ss laugh just makes my veins pop. However, with Nozomi's cute timid voice, and the little "Nyaa"s she does, Nozomi is the only lead female I like. Chise's maids were my favourite supporting characters. They were an epic pair, pretty hot too. My only wish is for them to have more screen time, other than just random occasions in each episode, and at the end of each episode.

Romance development was very directionless. I was not sure where the directors were headed. I always though it would be FuminoXTakumi (And I still think of it that way now), but their love is really inconstant. Very early in the series, Fumino admits her love for him, drops it, and goes back to it on episode 9, then drops it again! For Chise and Takumi, I see no spark whatsoever. The directors were probably like: "Hey, we got another girl. Let's make her love Takumi! Yeah!". As for Nozomi and Takumi, the two seem more like uber close friends rather than lovers. Also, in the middle of the anime, some other random rich girl gets into a cabin with Takumi, and get naked with each other for no reason. The two just met. There was no spark whatsoever with the two, and they get NAKED with each other? It would have been understandable with maybe Fumino, but Takumi just got together with a random one-episode girl, who never appears in the series again.

There were many bad parts, but there were a few good points. The fan service was pretty nice. It satisfied my ecchi needs (Waking up to stripped panties=Awesome sauce). The humour was pretty good, like a Google reference, and the "Noobs" team in the spats vs bloomers episode. Though I would prefer a proper ending to the series, the last episode happened to be a recap episode, and possibly the best recap episode of any anime or television series I have ever watched, with hilarious commentary from Fumino, Chise, and Nozomi.

Overall, this was a decent anime. The anime had very great potential, but somehow just went down the pooper after episode 3. i don't have much recommendations for this anime, but if you like some light humour and ecchi on the side, go ahead and watch. This anime deserves a 5/10

My Twitter

I am only a fan of Vietcong tactics and I like to make fun of Communism. I do not support the VC's ideals nor Communism.

Your friendly neighbourhood Commissar. Got a question? PM me, ask me on Twitter , Facebook or e-mail me at: sirevil100@hotmail.com
ICEheaven102
Commissar
Commissar

Character sheet
Name : Tuyên (Pronounced Tuee-ien) (Vietnamese name), Dex (English), Icey (Old TF nickname)

http://exoduszone.forumsmotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Icey's anime reviews: Mayoi Neko Overrun

Post by Nozomi "Ai" Kiriya on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:44 pm

I think that was a great review Very Happy I agree with you when you said that Chise was annoying and Fumino was a little too though, but I think Nozomi was a pretty good character o.o It wasn't the best show out there, but I would have given it a 6 or 7 out of 10. If I come across any good shows though, I'll be sure to tell you about them Smile
Nozomi "Ai" Kiriya

Character sheet
Name : Ai Miromoto

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top